Moi girls' High School students at an Insyder funkie

Moi Girls’ School Nairobi has been under the limelight lately after rape allegations led to its immediate closure.The institution however reopened yesterday, a week after it was closed.

The incident happened on Saturday, the 2nd of June, two days after The Insyder Qru had left the institution  from the BLAZE Fests awarding ceremony.

View this post on Instagram

Quabbz Rape Incident: What We Know So Far The DCI is probing the alleged rape at Moi Girls Nairobi. A Form two student is said to have been raped at 1 am early Saturday morning at the school. Tests have been conducted on the girl at Nairobi Women’s, KNH Parents demand school closure, citing insecurity, while this morning CS Amina Mohammed has closed the school, citing “early” mid term and given the girls a one week break to overcome the horrible ordeal Civil society cry for the sacking of the head teacher, who did not notify parents immediately, and also prevent parents from seeing their students. Civil society also claims that more girls were raped. As we write this, the police say no arrests have been made, and investigations are currently ongoing. The Insyder team will be talking to some more students to bring you accurate information as it breaks. Our thoughts and prayers are with the girls who underwent such a traumatic experience, and to the entire Quabbz student community, their family and friends. #Justice4Quabbz #NotJustPrayersJustice4Quabbz #PrayForQuabbz

A post shared by Insyder Mag (@theinsyder) on

Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed, Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang and Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris have been part of the case from when the news broke.

Following the reopening, parents will today hold a meeting with the ministry of Education and the Teachers Service Commission on the state of affairs at the school.

Brain Weke, the new chairman of the Parents Teachers Association yesterday spoke to Daily Nation and expressed his satisfaction with the short-term security measures that have been taken within the school.

Some of the measures taken were recruitment of new watchmen to replace all the previous ones, functioning CCTV cameras, fixed fence and five police officers have been assigned to guard the school for about two months.

According to SDE, Ms Adongo, a parent said, “The administration told us they had fixed the fence, so today when I brought my daughter I decided to go round the school to confirm. Unfortunately, there are still several loopholes.”

Speaking to one of the students last week, the Insyder was informed of strange people whom the students had been spotting within the school.The students had also complained to the administration about strange notes that were passed to them in their washrooms. The administration only advised the girls to ignore them as they were ‘people who were just trying to woo them.’

Yesterday, some of the students spoke to the Insyder expressing their fear and trauma over the incident that happened to their colleagues.

We surely hope that the girls will be safe and that the administration will take precaution where need be.