Afros are a bold hair style for those who wish to embrace their thick tightly curled hair. Depending on the length of a person’s hair, an afro can be short and thick or tall, fluffy and full of volume. Because of the tight curls common in African-American, Brazilian, Afro-Caribbean and other ethnic hair types, an afro can feel dry and coarse after washing or long-term exposure to the sun. With a few simple hair care products, you can retain moisture and soften your afro.
Here now is a look at some simple ways on how to keep your afro soft and moist:
1. Wash your hair and scalp thoroughly with a nourishing shampoo, specifically designed for curly or processed hair. Thoroughly rinse the shampoo from the hair and follow with a moisture rich cream conditioner. Allow the conditioner to sit on your hair for the suggested time before rinsing.
2. Pat the hair completely dry with a towel. For faster drying, use a blow dryer on the cool air setting.
3. Spray a light coat of leave-in conditioner throughout your hair. Part your hair as needed to reach the roots. Use your hands to spread the conditioner evenly throughout your afro.
4. Dispense a coin-sized amount of natural hair oil onto your palm. Rub your palms together and distribute the oil throughout the entire afro. Start with a dime sized amount, then apply more as needed.
5. Repeat the above steps each time you wash your hair, at least twice weekly.
This is the grim reality that greets male teens who engage in pre-marital sex as early as 10 years old. It is a world where no young teen would think of waiting till marriage to get that pleasure…hell no! Peer pressure has taken toll over teens’ minds which has left them with no other option but to ‘taste how it feels’.
Anyhow, back to my main topic and here you are, a teen dad who hasn’t even finished his education leave alone having a job. Your worst fears have been confirmed after the chic you slept with delivers the unexpected baby; everything from the nose to the ears is no different from yours.
Now, let’s sort out some issues as questions ponder your head on the next move to take:
• Do I need to finish school?
Absolutely!!! You need to finish school. Staying in school is critical to being able to provide for your child in the future.
• I’m not ready to be a father
No new father is really “ready.” It’s a whole new experience and one that can’t really be learned in a book.
• I mean, I’m scared
Being scared goes away as you get used to the idea of being a father and get to know your son or daughter.
• I don’t have money to support my ‘family’
Now that you cannot provide financial support, by being in school trying to get education, you’ll be able to in the future.
• I’m too young to be a father
Yes, you’re young, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn and “grow up” to be a good dad.
After deliberating and taking that bold step to take care of the baby, ask yourself how you are gonna be a good and caring dad:
• Get involved with the kid before birth
It is very vital to stay keen and learn about the child throughout pregnancy. Most babies will recognize their parents’ voices right from birth!
• After birth, don’t be afraid to touch, hold, talk to, feed or dress your child
In no time at all it will become second nature, and his mom will so appreciate your involvement.
• Get tips on parenthood
I know this might sound impossible(coz yo’ gonna get slaughtered) but consider asking your mum or dad on how best to be a good parent to the kid.
• Be patient with the baby and the mum
The early months are quite stressful and demanding to both the mum and kid. A good dad can be a stress reliever.
• Be there for your child and see him grow to a young man/woman
Studies have shown that a dad’s presence in a child’s life results in children who are more likely to achieve academically, have fewer behavior problems, and relate well with their peers and in social situations.
All said and done remember the adage that says, ‘As you make your bed so must you lie on it’. #Nuffsaid
A dad’s influence in his teenage daughter’s life shapes her self esteem, personal image, confidence and also her opinion on the type of men she associates herself with. While growing up, for all young girls, dad is the first male figure in her life. He and mom are everything; they become a child’s first world. If by any chance, that relationship between a father and a daughter is strained at an early age, well it could take a lifetime of many internal struggles and very many challenges with the opposite sex.
Young teenage girls who grow up with positive relationships with their fathers (mothers inclusive) tend to be more confident, they choose appropriate partners in their lives and also become quite selective about their choice of friends and especially those who they interact with closely. The young girls tend to respond to situations in emotionally healthy ways and end up having meaningful relationships with both boys and girls.
What really matters is while at that early relationship, dads seek to live life of honesty, integrity. Avoiding any form of hypocrisy hence the ability to admit to their own shortcomings so that the young teenage girl could be able to cope up with the world at any given point.
As a teenage girl continues to grow in her teenage years, dads should cultivate on a trustworthy relationship and give all the support where need be. The ability to be able to be present in her life, listen to her thoughts as this will build up her personal image and growth. The direct personal relationship between the father and daughter in most cases tends to reduce girls insecurities and increases her self-esteem and confidence.
In most cases, the kind of relationship that the teenage girl has with her father is also directed to the long term relationship with the kind of men that they date. The presence of a father figure in her life influences the opinions that a young girl will have towards men. The ability of a father to treat their daughter with love is one very major factor. The fatherly acceptance seems to weigh the heaviest in a young teenage girl.
It is true that we are really a product of our environment. The best gift a dad could give their teenage daughter is the gift of respect. The ability to show respect to her mother consistently in their actions and words is incredibly powerful. It sets standards on how she should be treated by other men in her life and how she feels.
You have the ability to put a healthy and strong pattern in motion. It will last a lifetime. The old saying “girls marry their fathers” is very true. Regardless if the relationship was positive or negative. We are human and we gravitate towards that which is comfortable and quite familiar to us.
A young girl’s early relationship with dad, who is the first male object of her love, shapes her conscious and unconscious sense of what is romantic and an acceptable partner. Good and attentive fathering tends to reduce depression in the teenage girl.
There are challenges that come with being a dad to an adolescent teenage girl. But the ability to spend more time with her, ability to understand her hobbies and her highs and lows tends to create the bond to become more special as the years go by. The ability to find something that is as meaningful and special to do together creates huge difference.
There is no bigger job than dad, no more rewarding.
Sometimes people don’t support your dreams, not because they hate you or are against you and your dreams; but because they don’t understand your dream, you haven’t explained it visibly and visionary.
If you took time to explain your dream to your lover or friends, they would be delighted to support and walk with you. You have to show them how feasible your dream is, have a strategy. If your partner loves you, he/she will be pleased to walk with you. Make the journey clear for the people who love you to drive with you. Relationships are important.
Instead of complaining your parents don’t understand you and your dreams. Prove to your parents how serious you are; make a presentation about your dream to your parents, stating clearly what it is, how it works, and most importantly for them, how it translates to success. Open your parents’ eyes. They are not against you, they are for you; you just have to convincingly bring them to your page.
It is not that banks or investors are snubbing you; it could be you haven’t pitched your plan clearly. You have to show you have thoroughly thought about your dream and goals. Look like you know your field. Don’t just speak your dream on the surface; break it down to specifics to bring them on board.
Often, it is not that people don’t want to vote in good leaders. It’s just that good leaders don’t publish their vision clearly. If the people were made to understand your vision and see what you see, they will rally behind you. People are hungry for change and good leadership.
Before you complain about being alone and call people haters, ask yourself if you have clearly spelt out your dream. Sometimes we make people see us as mad and weird because we haven’t made them understand what we are about. Before someone joins your team they need to get what you’re saying. Vagueness, lack of clarity and disorderliness only works to push people away.
My usual hang out joint is as busy as usual, it’s a place where all the gossip comes from, it’s where the opinion counts, lol. No one is wrong. As long as you have an idea of what is going in all spheres. On this particular day it’s all about the entertainment scene in 254, Jaymo the street dj is around and he joins us, he is just from abroad, so we are told. Maybe that’s where he got his new ride (I mean ride as in car). Jaymo is doing well especially for the last four months; he has travelled all over the world, at least that’s the word on the street. He has changed a lot, from the ordinary hustler or do we say the sufferer to the new baler in town, the is Mr. Mention. Started from the bottom now he is here… up. Everybody goes mute as soon as he gets a seat. You can tell he is envied by most here. But No one wants to be too close to him and I guess he feels the unfriendly environment and he fakes a call and walks out. Immediately he walks out the joint goes out loud again, “told you, this guy, is Illuminati”, Kim the hood rat shouts… “Did you see his tee, the triangle prints … that’s the symbol of the dark powers…”
Everyone joins in and names start coming up, apparently everyone in the 254 entertainment scene is illuminati (illuminati). “You saw how they rewarded Lupita after she joined them?” John Loud shouts, and he goes on to make his opinion solid, “ati they reward you for being violated in a movie, she did not even act. It was real. That was initiation… you wait and see what will befall.”
Am listening to this as they names keep coming, from Prezzo, Stella Mwangi , Rabbit, Daddy Owen and all the top dogs. One guy seated in a corner has been smiling all along finally speaks out. I don’t know his name, but his rugged voice, makes me call him rugged… “mnaenda mbali, kwani, huyu boy wa kibra, alitoa wapi hii mula anadai kwa kila ngoma”? (You guys are going far, this dude from kibera, where is he getting his cash from) …“octopizzo ndio baba yao. Illuminati.” (octopizzo is the king of illuminati).
I am tempted to say something or at least question. Like I don’t get it, is everyone who is doing well financially illuminati? Or what are illuminati? I don’t get it … as am about to open my mouth, this huge guy stands and shouts… “lazima hii story tukatae”… I rest my case.
In my opinion, I don’t think there is anyone who is illuminati in Kenya entertainment scene. And it’s unfair for us to judge people for their success. Entertainment pays and it’s not a big deal nowadays for artist to fetch a “Millie” from a simple deal. Finally the corporate world working with the entertainers and them (entertainers) are getting some good cash. I won’t go to the royalties they get or the cash from performances… I know ya’ll get the point. By Charles M
In life, it is about staying the course, what you do overtime, and most importantly, how you finish. How magnificently you started, or how glamorously you performed in the middle, is all judged by how you finish…
In life, you will have your LIVERPOOL- Your haters, your rivals and competitors. They often team up as one against you because they never walk alone. Don’t be intimidated by them no matter how close they are to you and how much they want to keep you from your goal.
In life, there will be the CHELSEA- The bullies who will use words and psychological tactics to try to defeat you. All their threats are nothing but hot air. Keep your eyes on the prize. You will defeat them and make them feel the blues.
In life, you will have the ARSENAL- The noisemakers. They magnify even their smallest win. They brag too much. They seem to have it all. Don’t be jealous of them. Often these are the people who focus too much on midterm success and lose out on the long-term.
In life, there will be the MANCHESTER UNITED- These are your family, your friends who may bear a similar name as you or come from where you come from but are not as good as you are in what you do. Don’t disown them. Don’t do away with the surname, the family name, but rise nonetheless. Make them proud even if they lag behind.
In life, there will be the RELEGATED ONES- the ones who have not mastered success yet. The ones who are not yet pro. They are the ones who look up to you and admire you. Remember they are watching you; show them how success is done. Don’t be filled with pride, you are the top, lead.
A finisher concludes with success all they start. They follow through. In your studies, your projects, your work, your building; you gotta start with a bang, get excited in the middle then complete with a touchdown! Are you a finisher?
1. Douching with any substance after intercourse does not work as a contraceptive and does not prevent pregnancy.
2. It is not true that a female cannot become pregnant after her first sexual intercourse.
3. It is not true that a woman cannot get pregnant during her menstrual period. It is true that a woman is usually less fertile for the first few days of menstruation – but less fertile does not mean not infertile.
4. Sexual intercourse in a hot tub or swimming pool does not prevent pregnancy.
5. There is no sexual position that prevents pregnancy. Some sexual positions may actually encourage pregnancy. Having sex standing up or with the female on top does not prevent pregnancy.
6. Toothpaste does not prevent pregnancy and should never be used as a contraceptive.
7. It is not true that if the man does not ejaculate the woman cannot get pregnant. There is a risk of pregnancy as soon as vaginal penetration by the bare penis occurs.
8. You will still get pregnant even if you stay upside down for two hours after sex.
9. If the woman does not have an orgasm it does not mean at all that she cannot get pregnant.
10. Two condoms are not better than one. In fact, the friction between the condoms may cause them to tear more easily.
11. Drinking a lot of milk does not prevent pregnancy.
12. If the male drinks a lot of alcohol pregnancy is not prevented.
13.Jumping up and down or placing seeds inside the vagina will not stop pregnancy occurring after intercourse.
14. Waiting until the next day to take the morning-after- pill does not make it more effective. It should be taken as soon as possible. The emergency contraceptive pill can be used up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. However, it is 95% effective during the first 24 hours, and goes down to 60% by 72 hours.
15. You will get pregnant when the guy withdraws his penis before ejaculation.
1. Use your Wing woman: Women tend to move in packs. There’s an unwritten rule that when you plan to step out with the girls, everyone is expected to be emotionally equipped to be the wing-woman if needed. If you’re on a mission to meet guys, stick to one wing woman. Guys are terrified to approach big groups of girls. If he’s got friends, take your designated wing-woman and introduce her to his friend as if you’re the confident matchmaker helping out your shy friend. She’ll already know to engage in conversation setting her fears and pride aside as you and your target chat it up and break the ice on the side. Who knows, she might get a number out of the deal too.
2. Be easy to approach, but hard to attain. Playing hard to get is still not clearly defined as a good thing or not. Men however, do want a challenge when it comes to winning you over. Most men are terrified to make the move. Make it easy for them, make eye contact and give them the clear signal that it’s cool to break the ice. One the ice is broken, now you can tease him, test him and make him work for it…just the way he likes it.
3. Be confident. If you appear confident to your guy, he will think you are confident; it’s that easy. Walk up to him like you own the ground you walk on. It will impress him knowing that you’re comfortable in your skin and you can sashay your stuff without fear. BEWARE: Do not come across as so confident that it may be mistaken for the I-am-better-than-you-bow-down-at-my-feet arrogance!
4. Talk. Have something prepared to say beforehand. Talking about the weather or school is an easy way to open a conversation because there’s no wrong answer — these are safe. Casually approach him and ask where the bathroom is. If he’s in line at the canteen, pass him cash and ask him to order you something to minimize wait time. Ask him if a seat is taken so you can pull an extra chair to your table. If he’s tall, ask him to scan the crowed for your friend in the red sweater, playfully complain you’re just too short to look yourself… You get the picture. Guys like to be needed. Insecurity is a turnoff, but so is overconfidence. The sweet spot here is to be yourself — a calm, self-assured version of yourself.
5. Compliment him: A slick little compliment is a good ice breaker! You could tell him he has great hair or how good he looks in the shirt he’s wearing. This may seem cliché, but for a guy, what’s going through his head is “Wow. Hot girl. Likes my hair. Thank you God for giving me this hair!” “Excuse me, I just wanted to tell you that’s a nice jacket.” Compliment him, and once he says ‘thank you’, walk away and go on about your night. Trust me, he’ll find you eventually because he won’t be able to get the ‘woman who approached him but didn’t go in for the kill,’ out of his mind.
6. Give him “The Look”: this is a certain look that you have that says, “I want you to notice me.” It is important to first make eye contact with your guy and then lay it on him. This is your sexiest, most mysterious look that will only last a few seconds so as to leave him breathless and wanting more (this is the ‘hook’). A little warning ladies, we do not want this turning into a creepy stalker girl case. So for everyone’s well-being, a few seconds will do!
7. If you don’t ask for what you want, you won’t get it. You don’t want to seem desperate or overbearing, but if you want to ask for his phone number, then ask. Getting his number isn’t demanding commitment. Let him know you enjoyed talking and that you would love to chat again sometime. If you still aren’t comfortable asking for his number, offer him yours.
Are you thinking of taking a vacation or just being a local tourist in the country but can’t figure out where exactly the best place for you to visit is? Well, worry no more because thanks to the Magical Kenya android mobile application, you can explore the different sites to visit as well as get information on various travel destinations within the country at the comfort of your home.
• Informs you on just what to expect during their trip.
• What to carry and lets you save all this information on their interactive trip planner.
• Allows you to share your touring experiences through uploading videos and photos.
• Has a social forum that allows you to interact with other travelers.
Through this mobile app, the Kenya Tourism Board seeks to advertise to foreign and domestic travelers what beauty the country holds, guarantees the best and truthful information. One can fully rely on this app to show the beautiful country that is truly “Magical Kenya.”